20 for 20
If you’re a Gretchen Rubin fan, you’re probably familiar with the goal-setting exercise she and her sister/co-host Liz Craft do on their podcast Happier with Gretchen Rubin. This past year it was 19 for 19: 19 things to accomplish in the year 2019. I didn’t make one last year because sometimes goals — even my own — bring out my inner rebel: Don’t tell me what to do.
But this year, 20 for 20, a brand new decade … it seemed too perfect to pass up. Also, I tried to approach the list from a life-enriching perspective rather than: Eat healthier, work out more, lose the same fucking 20 pounds even though I aspire to be more comfortable in my body.
Obviously, before you can go forward, it’s important to look around at where you are — and were. I read this post from 2018 and am grateful my son is now attending college closer to home and I miss my therapist like crazy. For real.
What did I accomplish in 2019? I published my book; at least, it’s in the publishing process. Can that be enough? Definitely. I also let myself buy comfortable clothes and gave up the idea of wearing heels because of arthritis and surgery that rendered my left foot stiff and always in a bit of pain. Full disclosure: I didn’t like heels anyway, but don’t tell me what to do. I got a passport and went on a boat with some of my favorite people to a magical island where we explored historic ruins and snorkeled in the middle of the ocean. I’ve always been afraid of boat trips and snorkeling so I was incredibly proud of myself even though the mask was designed for a toddler.
2019 was pretty great. I learned, grew, changed, accepted, let go, forgave, apologized, loved, laughed, cried, and lived fully, and in 2020 I want to do all that and more with greater attention and intention.
Here’s my 20 for 2020:
1. Go to the west coast.
2. Learn to play the ukulele.
3. Get to a comfortable weight and stay there.
4. Take a girls trip with my best friend and my daughters.
5. Travel somewhere for a book signing.
6. Do the “1 second every day” project.
7. Have a weekly phone date with my BFF.
8. Read 112 books.
9. Re-do P’s room.
10. Get a king-sized bed.
11. Walk 20 minutes every day.
12. Use the Fabulous app to reinforce positive habits.
13. Repaint the hallway and foyer.
14. Do more yoga.
15. Learn calligraphy or at least get better at lettering.
16. Go see more plays with my fancy theater friends.
17. Have coffee dates with Julie.
18. Sell or give away all the copies of my book.
19. Write more in the kids’ books (get one for Lily).
20. Manage my time; don’t let it manage me.
Are you doing a 20 for 20 list? Do you make New Year’s Resolutions? Tell me more. Let’s support each other.